This new release improves the usability of selected DokuMate features, for example, by adding or improving dialog windows.
Further, one long-awaited new feature is the ability to freely configure new DocumentTrackers based on Word documents or templates, or the active Excel workbook. With this new feature, you can easily define and store rich meta-data in Microsoft Office documents and, thus, view, edit, and update that meta-data using the DocumentTracker.
Changed or Enhanced Functionality
DokuMate for Word and Excel
- NegotiationTracker Button. The NegotiationTracker menu was replaced with a simple button that opens a new dialog window.
- Old Behavior. Previously, you had to select a menu item from the NegotiationTracker menu to create a NegotiationTracker by DocId or by Second Party. Next, two folder dialogs appeared and you were asked for the source folder and the NegotiationTracker output folder.
- New Behavior. Clicking the NegotiationTracker button opens a dialog window that lets you choose between the NegotiationTracker by DocId or by Second Party and enter or browse for the source and output folders. When entering or selecting the source folder, the output folder is set to a meaningful default. Previous selections are remembered, making the creation of NegotiationTrackers easier and more efficient.
DokuMate for Word
- Content Controls Split Button. A split button is a standard control that combines a button and a menu. Clicking the button invokes the default action, which, in this case, opens a newly designed dialog window that allows you to select and insert content controls, which are bound to document properties contained in a custom XML part. The newly designed menu is shown when you click on the small, downward-pointing triangle or chevron on the right. The menu offers two basic features and three advanced features:
- Basic Features. The first basic feature, Insert Content Controls, is identical to the standard action invoked when you press the button. The second basic feature, Edit Document Properties, allows you to edit the document properties to which the content controls are bound. You can change, add, remove, or reorder those document properties, which is nice because you can now use Word documents and templates to configure the DocumentTrackers created by DokuMate for Excel.
- Advanced Features. The advanced features have existed all the time, however, on the Developer ribbon tab. They are now included in the menu because they might be generally useful. The Bind Content Controls function can be used to re-bind the content controls to the document properties contained in the document, e.g., if the contents of such content controls do not seem to be synchronized. The Restore Document Properties function restores the document properties from the content control data, which is useful if the document properties were previously removed, e.g., by using the Document Inspector. Finally, the Delete Document Properties can be used to remove the custom XML part containing the document properties.
DokuMate for Excel
- DocumentTracker Split Button. As explained above, a split button combines a button and a menu, with the button invoking the standard action (of creating a local DocumentTracker in this case) and the menu offering the same and further actions, in this case the creation of a SharePoint DocumentTracker. In both cases, a newly designed dialog window is opened, providing the possibility to (1) select the DocumentTracker template, (2) browse for the root folder containing the tracked documents, (3) select further options, and (4) edit the document properties contained in the selected DocumentTracker template. Previous selections are remembered, making it easier and more efficient to create DocumentTrackers.
- Document Properties Button. A new Template group with a new Document Properties button was added to the DokuMate ribbon tab. The new Document Properties function allows you to edit the document properties contained in the active Excel workbook, so that you can use those to configure newly created DocumentTrackers. This way, you could create Excel templates for different kinds of DocumentTrackers.